Atmosphere not good from security point of view: Sports Min
New Delhi: Teams, players coming to India for any sporting event in the future will be subjected to proper scrutiny, Sports Minister Jitendra Singh said, on Wednesday, even as Hockey India League`s Pakistani signings headed home due to simmering tension on the Indo-Pak border.
"The atmosphere today, from the security point of view, is not good. We are trying, the sports ministry is trying to scrutinise all players, teams who will come to play here," Singh said.
The Indo-Pak tension at the LoC (Line of Control) yesterday spilled over to the sporting arena with Hockey India deciding to send back all the nine Pakistani recruits after protests over the killing of Indian soldiers on the border.
The Pakistani players, however, insisted that politics and sports should not be mixed.
"Our message is, never mix sports and politics. We are satisfied with our team management. It is a mutual decision of Hockey India and Pakistan Hockey Federation, and that is why we are going," said Imran Butt, who was signed by Mumbai Magicians.
"Given another opportunity, we will come back and play. We are thankful to the hockey federation and our Mumbai team management," he added.
Another Mumbai recruit, Muhammad Tousiq, also hoped that they would come back next time.
"I am not disappointed, we were treated very well. There are problems now, but `Insha Allah` we will come back next time," Tousiq said.
Mahmood Rashid, also of the Mumbai franchise, called it a "bad luck".
"Like my other colleagues, I, too, would have loved to play in India. But it is our bad luck that we are leaving," he said.
Fareed Ahmed felt sportspersons are harbingers of peace.
"Sports and politics should never be mixed. Players always promote peace and harmony," Ahmed said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming