Aussie breaststroker Sprenger pulls out of Pan Pacs
World 100 metres breaststroke champion Christian Sprenger has withdrawn from for this month`s Pan Pacific swimming championships in his native Australia because of a shoulder injury.
Sprenger unsuccessfully battled through the pain at the recent Commonwealth Games and has opted to miss the Pan Pacs on medical advice with the long-term view of competing at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
The 28-year-old went to last month`s event in Glasgow with hopes of winning three titles but ended up with just a relay bronze after his stroke fell apart.
"Obviously it`s frustrating to have an injury, but it is also part of being an athlete," Sprenger said in a statement.
"I`m disappointed at not being able to race here at home for the Pan Pacs, but if it had to happen, I`m glad it`s still two years out from Rio."
The Pan Pacs will take place at the Gold Coast from Aug. 21-25.
The hosts will compete against teams from Japan, Canada and the United States, with American Michael Phelps returning to international competition for the first time since he retired after the 2012 London Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?
- First Haj flight from Uttar Pradesh to take off on August 10