Australia, Malaysia play out 1-1 draw
Ipoh: Australia and Malaysia shared two points each after playing out a 1-1 draw in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament, here today.
The result has thrown open the tournament as the draw kept other teams in the fray, more so, with India notching up an important win against Pakistan today.
It has also added to the prospect of Malaysia meeting India and Pakistan in their last two matches.
In a humdinger of a contest, Malaysian goalkeeper Subramanian Kumar was the cynosure of all eyes as the custodian came up with an incredible seven spanking saves in the second half to keep a check on the marauding Aussies.
In exchanges, which were even in the first half, Australia scored through Trent Mitton, his second in this editon, in the 34th minute.
Mitton made most of the opportunity provided by the Malaysian defender Razie Muhammad as he snatched the ball away from him and had the freedom to seize up the target with a high scoop.
For all their honest tries, Malaysians were rewarded with an equaliser a minute before the hooter. Faizal Saari banged in the rebound from the team`s third penalty corner.
Both teams thus remain unbeaten in the tournament and are in a good position to contest the final on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?