Australia unveils big squad for Glasgow
Melbourne: The Australian Commonwealth Games Association on Wednesday named 45 athletes for the 2014 showpiece in Glasgow led by reigning 100m Olympic hurdles champion Sally Pearson.
World championship javelin silver medallist Kim Mickle will be vice captain to Pearson who lines up for the 100 metre sprint as well as defending her Commonwealth hurdles crown.
Chef de mission and former marathon runner Steve Moneghetti said the number of track and field athletes was expected to at least double before the opening ceremony on July 23.
He said it would be the biggest athletics team from Australia to compete overseas.
"The future is so bright for the sport. I`m so delighted to see athletics going as well as it is."
Among the newcomers is 19-year-old Morgan Mitchell, who won the 400m title for the first time at last week`s nationals.
"It is great to see nominations which range from established stars like Sally Pearson, Kim Mickle and Dani Samuels (discus) to rising stars like Eleanor Patterson (high jump), Damien Birkinhead (shot put) and Morgan Mitchell. This typifies what the Commonwealth Games are all about," Moneghetti said.
At the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, the Australian athletics team won 11 gold, six silver and three bronze medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video