Australia unveils big squad for Glasgow
Melbourne: The Australian Commonwealth Games Association on Wednesday named 45 athletes for the 2014 showpiece in Glasgow led by reigning 100m Olympic hurdles champion Sally Pearson.
World championship javelin silver medallist Kim Mickle will be vice captain to Pearson who lines up for the 100 metre sprint as well as defending her Commonwealth hurdles crown.
Chef de mission and former marathon runner Steve Moneghetti said the number of track and field athletes was expected to at least double before the opening ceremony on July 23.
He said it would be the biggest athletics team from Australia to compete overseas.
"The future is so bright for the sport. I`m so delighted to see athletics going as well as it is."
Among the newcomers is 19-year-old Morgan Mitchell, who won the 400m title for the first time at last week`s nationals.
"It is great to see nominations which range from established stars like Sally Pearson, Kim Mickle and Dani Samuels (discus) to rising stars like Eleanor Patterson (high jump), Damien Birkinhead (shot put) and Morgan Mitchell. This typifies what the Commonwealth Games are all about," Moneghetti said.
At the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, the Australian athletics team won 11 gold, six silver and three bronze medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter