Australian cyclist wins U23 time-trial world championship
Sydney: Australian cyclist Damien Howson has won the world under-23 time-trial title at the UCI Road Cycling World Championships in Italy.
Howson blitzed the 43km course in 49 minutes 97 seconds, 57 seconds faster than Frenchman Yoann Paillot and won the gold medal in Florence on Monday, while Danish top seed Lasse Norman Hansen finished third,
"I`m obviously really happy to take away the win," Howson said.
"I`m sure after dinner when things settle down it will hit me that I`ve finally become a World Champion."
The 21-year-old South Australian rising star becomes the third Australian to win the under-23 time-trial world title following Jack Boridge in 2009 and Luke Durbridge in 2011.
Howson, who has signed with Australian professional team Green EDGE for 2014, is looking forward to his professional career.
"I`m looking forward to the next step of my career in the professional ranks," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling