Australian cyclist wins U23 time-trial world championship
Sydney: Australian cyclist Damien Howson has won the world under-23 time-trial title at the UCI Road Cycling World Championships in Italy.
Howson blitzed the 43km course in 49 minutes 97 seconds, 57 seconds faster than Frenchman Yoann Paillot and won the gold medal in Florence on Monday, while Danish top seed Lasse Norman Hansen finished third,
"I`m obviously really happy to take away the win," Howson said.
"I`m sure after dinner when things settle down it will hit me that I`ve finally become a World Champion."
The 21-year-old South Australian rising star becomes the third Australian to win the under-23 time-trial world title following Jack Boridge in 2009 and Luke Durbridge in 2011.
Howson, who has signed with Australian professional team Green EDGE for 2014, is looking forward to his professional career.
"I`m looking forward to the next step of my career in the professional ranks," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why