Australian Open: Gurusaidutt enters 3rd round; Jayaram, Sarada lose
Sydney: Shuttler R M V Gurusaidutt was the lone bright spot in an otherwise disappointing day for the Indians at the Australian Open Grand Prix Gold here on Wednesday.
Gurusaidutt, seeded 11th, sealed his place in the third round of the men`s singles event after notching up a hard-fought 21-14, 18-21, 21-19 win over Suppanyu Avihingsanon of Thailand in a match that lasted an hour and five minutes.
Ninth seeded Ajay Jayaram, however, failed to cross the second-round hurdle in the men`s singles event, going down to unseeded Dong Keun Lee of South Korea, 24-26, 19-21 in 47 minutes.
India`s campaign also ended in the women`s singles category with upcoming shuttler Sarada Jasti losing to Yui Hashimoto of Japan 5-21, 13-21 in the first round.
Gurusaidutt, after clinching the first game comfortably, had to fight for every point in the next game before losing it.
In the deciding game though, he proved his mettle as he came back from a 4-11 deficit to seal the game and the match in his favour.
The Indian will next take on the winner of the match between World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia and Indonesia`s Prasojo Adi Andrianus.
In the match between Jayaram and Keun Lee, the first game was a neck-and-neck affair till 24 points before the Korean took off and bagged the next two points to take the lead.
In the second game, Jayaram, at one stage had a 18-14 lead, but the Indian lost the plot to eventually go down 19-21.
Meanwhile, unseeded Sarada was no match for her Japanese opponent, losing the duel in just 26 minutes. The Indian could win a total of just 18 points as compared to 42 by Hashimoto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal