Australian Open: Gurusaidutt enters 3rd round; Jayaram, Sarada lose
Sydney: Shuttler R M V Gurusaidutt was the lone bright spot in an otherwise disappointing day for the Indians at the Australian Open Grand Prix Gold here on Wednesday.
Gurusaidutt, seeded 11th, sealed his place in the third round of the men`s singles event after notching up a hard-fought 21-14, 18-21, 21-19 win over Suppanyu Avihingsanon of Thailand in a match that lasted an hour and five minutes.
Ninth seeded Ajay Jayaram, however, failed to cross the second-round hurdle in the men`s singles event, going down to unseeded Dong Keun Lee of South Korea, 24-26, 19-21 in 47 minutes.
India`s campaign also ended in the women`s singles category with upcoming shuttler Sarada Jasti losing to Yui Hashimoto of Japan 5-21, 13-21 in the first round.
Gurusaidutt, after clinching the first game comfortably, had to fight for every point in the next game before losing it.
In the deciding game though, he proved his mettle as he came back from a 4-11 deficit to seal the game and the match in his favour.
The Indian will next take on the winner of the match between World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia and Indonesia`s Prasojo Adi Andrianus.
In the match between Jayaram and Keun Lee, the first game was a neck-and-neck affair till 24 points before the Korean took off and bagged the next two points to take the lead.
In the second game, Jayaram, at one stage had a 18-14 lead, but the Indian lost the plot to eventually go down 19-21.
Meanwhile, unseeded Sarada was no match for her Japanese opponent, losing the duel in just 26 minutes. The Indian could win a total of just 18 points as compared to 42 by Hashimoto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read