Australian sport welcomes proposed fixing laws
Sydney: Australia`s major sporting organisations have thrown their support behind proposed new laws that include penalties of up to 10 years in prison for sports corruption and match-fixing.
The Coalition of Major Professional and Participation Sports, which includes football, cricket, both rugby codes, tennis and Australian Rules football, said today it commends plans by the New South Wales state government to introduce the Crimes Amendment (Cheating at Gambling) Bill 2012.
The proposed bill will see a maximum penalty of 10 years` imprisonment for anyone found to have been involved in corrupting the outcome of an event.
"The bill put forward by the N S W Government is a significant step in creating a national safeguard against corruption in sport," COMPPS executive director Malcolm Speed said. "We look forward to the natural progression of the other states and territories introducing their own legislation along with betting integrity agreement legislation."
The proposed N S W legislation follows an agreement between Australia`s state and federal governments last year to create uniform, nationwide penalties to combat illegal gambling and the leaking of inside sporting information for financial gain.
The two levels of government agreed to phase out the airing of live betting odds during broadcasts of professional sports, either through self-regulation by individual sports, or by legislation.
COMPPS also agreed last year to establish the Betting Integrity Group, comprising a member from each sport to "coordinate joint activity between members and to use the sports` collective power to combat corruption in sport."
"The combination of cheating in sport legislation and integrity agreement legislation across states and territories will give sport the best legislative framework to combat the increasing threat of corruption," said Speed, a former International Cricket Council chief executive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'