Australian Squash Open concluded
Canberra: After seven days of intense competition, the 2012 HI-TEC Australian Squash Open concluded at the Canberra Royal Theatre Sunday.
In the women`s final, defending champion Nicol David of Malaysia won her second consecutive Australian Open when she beat Laura Massaro, third seed from Britain, reports Xinhua.
David saved six game points in the crucial opening game then overwhelmed the Englishwoman in the next two to win 17-15, 11-2, 11-6 for her 62nd title on the women`s tour.
She showed why she is considered the greatest player of the past decade as she absorbed everything Massaro threw at her before turning the screws on her opponent.
After defeating defending champion Nick Matthew at the 2011 Australian Open, defending champion Ramy Ashour was at his best as he downed fellow Egyptian Omar Mosaad in straight games to win his second Australian Open crown in men`s final.
Although the 24-year-old top seed took 53 minutes to see off the tall and powerful Mosaad 11-9, 11-9, 11-6, he said he found it difficult playing against Mosaad, someone he grew up with in Egypt.
Earlier, Dipika Pallikal became the first Indian to reach the semi-final of a Gold Series event, but lost to Massaro in five games Saturday.
The Australian Squash Open is an annual squash tournament that takes place in Canberra in August. The tournament has been held since 1980.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory