Ayonika bags bronze at ISSF World Cup
New Delhi: India`s Aynonika Paul clinched her maiden international medal as a senior shooter by settling for a bronze in the 10m air rifle event of the ISSF World Cup in Maribor, Slovenia.
Continuing her excellent run of form this season, the 21-year-old Ayonika finished third in the qualification round with a score of 417.3.
She went on to shoot a score of 185.3 in the final to clinch the bronze medal. "This is my first ever World Cup medal and I am really happy. I must thank NRAI for their support. I also want to specially thank Olympic Gold Quest for their wonderful support to me. They have sent me quite a few times to Austria for training stints under world renowned coach Thomas Farnik which has really improved my technique," an elated Ayonika said.
"I also work with Olympic Gold Quest sports psychologist Vaibhav Agashe and sports medicine specialist Dr Nikhil Latey. They have both made a big difference to my confidence and fitness."
The 2012 Olympic Champion, China`s Yi Siling, won the gold medal, ending up on the highest step of the podium with a total score of 209.6 points. Wu Liuxi took the second place with 207.6 points.
Ayonika has had a very consistent season. She finished sixth in the World Cup in USA earlier this year. Her consistency has been rewarded with not just her first ever World Cup medal but also a place in the top 10 of the world rankings. Ayonika is currently ranked ninth in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion