Azerbaijan starts probe into lifters` doping scandal
Baku (Azerbaijan) Azerbaijan has started investigations on the disqualification of nine of its weightlifters for a doping scandal.
Minister of Youth and Sports Azad Rahimov said Friday the ministry treats the issue of very seriously and pays close attention to the anti-doping policy, reports Xinhua.
"Now we are investigating the incident in close contact with the Federation of Weightlifting of Azerbaijan," Rahimov said.
The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) earlier this week fined Azerbaijan $500,000 and waived a possible suspension after nine lifters were caught doping last year.
Five male and four female weightlifters failed drug tests in 2013 and most were suspended for two years.
IWF urged Azerbaijan to initiate an investigation on athletes, coaches and team doctors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video