Azerbaijan starts probe into lifters` doping scandal
Baku (Azerbaijan) Azerbaijan has started investigations on the disqualification of nine of its weightlifters for a doping scandal.
Minister of Youth and Sports Azad Rahimov said Friday the ministry treats the issue of very seriously and pays close attention to the anti-doping policy, reports Xinhua.
"Now we are investigating the incident in close contact with the Federation of Weightlifting of Azerbaijan," Rahimov said.
The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) earlier this week fined Azerbaijan $500,000 and waived a possible suspension after nine lifters were caught doping last year.
Five male and four female weightlifters failed drug tests in 2013 and most were suspended for two years.
IWF urged Azerbaijan to initiate an investigation on athletes, coaches and team doctors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader