Azerbaijan starts probe into lifters` doping scandal
Baku (Azerbaijan) Azerbaijan has started investigations on the disqualification of nine of its weightlifters for a doping scandal.
Minister of Youth and Sports Azad Rahimov said Friday the ministry treats the issue of very seriously and pays close attention to the anti-doping policy, reports Xinhua.
"Now we are investigating the incident in close contact with the Federation of Weightlifting of Azerbaijan," Rahimov said.
The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) earlier this week fined Azerbaijan $500,000 and waived a possible suspension after nine lifters were caught doping last year.
Five male and four female weightlifters failed drug tests in 2013 and most were suspended for two years.
IWF urged Azerbaijan to initiate an investigation on athletes, coaches and team doctors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'