BAI to come up with stringent policy after Saina fiasco
Lucknow: Stung by Saina Nehwal`s controversial exit from the Syed Modi India Grand Prix tournament, the Badminton Association of India has swung into action and is likely to come up with a stringent policy to avoid such a situation in future.
London Olympics bronze medallist, Saina courted controversy on Wednesday when she retired from her women`s singles first round match, citing knee injury, when she was on the verge of winning.
It rubbed the BAI officials the wrong way and they are planning to come up with a stringent law in the near future. They will also be holding a meeting on December 23 to discuss the entire issue.
"We need to put some mechanism in place so that it doesn`t happen again. We have to safeguard the interest of BAI as well as the players. The president will be here on December 22 and we will be discussing this issue in detail and come up with a policy after getting clearance from the commission," a senior BAI official said.
"After Senior Nationals, we had circulated a dos and don`ts list to the players but we have to make it more stringent so that such incident doesn`t happen again.
"It is important to have a mechanism to ensure the fitness of players before considering them for tournament and also after they recover from injury, they would need to prove their match fitness," the official added.
Asked if any action would be taken against Saina, BAI vice-president, T P S Puri said: "It is a fact that Saina was carrying an injury and she was reluctant to participate in the Super Series Final as she was injured but she had to play because of BWF norms. So it could be a genuine case."
The 22-year-old Saina had reached match point (21-17, 20-18) against Russian Ksenia Polikarpova in her opening match Wednesday when she decided to retire.
"Saina had sustained the injury during the Denmark Open in October and also struggled in the finals of the French Open. So she has been struggling for long and no player would want to aggravate an injury," Puri said.
According to some media reports, Saina had already booked her ticket for today as she didn`t want to play beyond the first round.
Puri, however, denied the allegations, saying, "I don`t think it would be right to make such an assumption. She came here straight from China. She attended the opening ceremony and decided to give it a shot but while playing she probably realised it might aggravate her injury."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo