BAI to revise draws after high court ruling
New Delhi: The Badminton Association of India (BAI) Thursday had to revise its draws for the doubles competitions of the National Championships here after the Bombay High Court Wednesday directed them to allow Prajakta Sawant to participate in the mixed doubles event.
Prajakta’s entry, sent along with Sanave Thomas, was never accepted in the draw list as the latter’s name was withdrawn by his state federation, the Kerala Badminton (Shuttle) Association (KBSA), on the player`s request.
“Yes, we are including Prajakta in the draw now as the court has directed us and we respect the court’s judgment. This has led to reshuffling of the draws. Basically, when Sanave got to know that his entry was sent he asked his state association to withdraw it,” BAI vice-president T.P.S. Puri told IANS at the Siri Fort Sports Complex here Thursday.
"No, I did not send my entry for the mixed doubles competition. I only sent it for men`s doubles which is why I asked to withdraw my name (from mixed doubles competition). I will reach New Delhi tonight at 11 p.m.," Sanave Thomas told IANS.
Prakjata and Sanave had recently won the mixed doubles title at the Bahrain International Challenge in November.
Sources told IANS that KBSA secretary and BAI vice-president S. Muralidharan had not given clearance to Thomas to take part in the mixed doubles event partnering Prajakta at the National Championships despite their good showing in Bagrain.
Prajakta will now partner Kamaldeep Singh in the individual championships which commence Friday.
Sources also said that names of Akshay Dewalkar and Pradnya Gadre, who were earlier not part of the draw, were also being entered during the revision despite Nov 27 being the deadline for accepting entries.
However, Puri clarified that this was BAI’s fault as they had “missed” seeing their entries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced