Barry Anderson named tournament director of HIL
New Delhi: Seasoned Barry Anderson was on Sunday appointed as the Tournament Director of the inaugural six-team franchise-based Hockey Indian League to be held across different cities of the country from January 17 next year.
Hockey India secretary general and HIL chairman Narinder Batra said the appointment of Anderson is a major step towards ensuring that the league is technically well conducted.
"Together with Steve Catton`s appointment as Competitions Director, Barry`s coming on board as Tournament Director will make this a great event," he said in a statement.
Anderson, a renowned and well respected Tournament Director of the European Hockey Federation, said he was delighted to be part of the first-ever HIL.
"I am looking forward to working with Hockey India, world class hockey players and team officials as well as some top class umpires and technical officials to make sure that Hockey India League is well and truly a top-notch tournament," he said.
"While there may be challenges, I`m confident that Hockey India will present a top-class tournament that will show the international community that India is more than capable of staging such an important event. It is one of the best events to which I`ve been appointed as a TD and am sure there will be many players and officials who feel the same," Anderson added.
The 61-year-old Anderson has conducted many international events in the capacity of a TD. He has been part of three FIH Champions Trophy tournaments, including the Chennai edition in 2005, three Champions Challenge tournaments, World Cup Qualifying Tournament and was also the TD of the 2011 European Championships.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed