Bauge and France stripped of world titles
Paris: Britain`s Jason Kenny has been awarded the world individual sprint gold medal and Germany the team title after French rider Gregory Bauge had his results annulled for doping violations, the International Cycling Union (UCI) said on Friday.
In November, the French Cycling Federation imposed a one-year backdated suspension from December 23, 2010 to December 22. 2011 on Bauge meaning the UCI was obliged to nullify all results obtained by the rider and any team he was a member of during that period.
"As a consequence, the rider and the French team lose their individual sprint and team sprint titles won at the UCI Track Cycling World Championships in March 2011," the UCI said in a statement.
Bauge was guilty of "two breaches of applicable requirements regarding rider availability and one missed test in 18 months," the UCI explained.
Kenny finished runner-up to Bauge at the world championships in the Netherlands last year. Bauge, 26, was also a member of the French trio that beat the Germans in the team event.
The French federation hit out at the UCI, saying the sport`s governing body had no right to overrule them and that it should have gone to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) instead.
"The FFC is wondering how a decision by a disciplinary committee can be overruled with no appeal being made before the Court of Arbitration for Sport," the FFC said in a statement.
It added that Bauge`s participation in this year`s Olympic Games was not at risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list