Bauge and France stripped of world titles
Paris: Britain`s Jason Kenny has been awarded the world individual sprint gold medal and Germany the team title after French rider Gregory Bauge had his results annulled for doping violations, the International Cycling Union (UCI) said on Friday.
In November, the French Cycling Federation imposed a one-year backdated suspension from December 23, 2010 to December 22. 2011 on Bauge meaning the UCI was obliged to nullify all results obtained by the rider and any team he was a member of during that period.
"As a consequence, the rider and the French team lose their individual sprint and team sprint titles won at the UCI Track Cycling World Championships in March 2011," the UCI said in a statement.
Bauge was guilty of "two breaches of applicable requirements regarding rider availability and one missed test in 18 months," the UCI explained.
Kenny finished runner-up to Bauge at the world championships in the Netherlands last year. Bauge, 26, was also a member of the French trio that beat the Germans in the team event.
The French federation hit out at the UCI, saying the sport`s governing body had no right to overrule them and that it should have gone to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) instead.
"The FFC is wondering how a decision by a disciplinary committee can be overruled with no appeal being made before the Court of Arbitration for Sport," the FFC said in a statement.
It added that Bauge`s participation in this year`s Olympic Games was not at risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security Part II
- DNA: Analyzing the possible hands indulged in Scorpene Submarine data leak
- DNA: Analyzing the media coverage on Kashmir violence
- DNA: PM Modi's photos and Indian flag raised during protests in Balochistan
- Turkey-backed rebels take Syrian border town of Jarablus
- Drone strikes kill 5 Qaeda suspects in Yemen: Security
- Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe renew rivalry as Laver Cup captains
- Mamata Banerjee warns Gorkha Janmukti Morcha against violence
- Powerful quake hits Myanmar, damaging famed Bagan temples; tremors felt in India