Bekele pulls out of 5,000 to concentrate on Olympics
Daegu (South Korea): Kenenisa Bekele will not defend his 5,000-meter title at the world championships and instead concentrate on defending his long-distance double at next year`s Olympics.
His agent Jos Hermens said that the multiple world-record holder from Ethiopia would go back home and center on core training again after he pulled out of Sunday`s 10,000 halfway through the race.
Bekele was looking for his fifth straight 10,000 world title to break a tie with Haile Gebrselassie. Bekele had been injured for most of the past two years and did not look fit Sunday, ending a winning streak over the distance going back to 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui