Bekele pulls out of 5,000 to concentrate on Olympics
Daegu (South Korea): Kenenisa Bekele will not defend his 5,000-meter title at the world championships and instead concentrate on defending his long-distance double at next year`s Olympics.
His agent Jos Hermens said that the multiple world-record holder from Ethiopia would go back home and center on core training again after he pulled out of Sunday`s 10,000 halfway through the race.
Bekele was looking for his fifth straight 10,000 world title to break a tie with Haile Gebrselassie. Bekele had been injured for most of the past two years and did not look fit Sunday, ending a winning streak over the distance going back to 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city