Bengal government to honour Sourav Ganguly, Leander Paes
Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly and tennis ace Leander Paes will be conferred Lifetime Achievement Awards, while successful football coach Subhas Bhowmick will be given `Guru Ratna` by the state government at a function here on September 28.
Reacting to the news, Ganguly said: "I really feel proud to hear this. It`s a massive achievement."
Excited to meet Paes who recently won his 14th career Grand Slam, Ganguly further said: "I would tell him `40 is just a number, you should go on playing."
"I would also ask him to spend more time in Kolkata as the city needs him," Ganguly added.
This is for the first time the West Bengal Ministry of Sports has constituted awards in about 50 categories for the sportspersons as Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will confer them at the Netaji Indoor Stadium here, sports minister Madan Mitra said.
"We will confer sportspersons in various disciplines. We have constituted awards like `Khel Ratna`, `Banglar Gourav` and `Guru Ratna` besides the Lifetime Achievemt Awards," Mitra told PTI.
The government is also likely to formally announce the upcoming State Football Academy while about 6,000 clubs will get financial aids.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?