Bengal govt to felicitate Anand on July 12
Kolkata: West Bengal government will felicitate grandmaster Viswanathan Anand on July 12 for winning the World Chess Championship, defeating Israel`s Boris Gelfand in Moscow.
"We have arranged the programme to felicitate Indian Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand for his landmark success recently," state`s Sports Minister Madan Mitra said here on Monday.
"Anand has accepted the invitation and will be here with his family," he said.
Anand showed immense resilience to beat Gelfand in a tense rapid chess tie-breaker to win the World Chess Championship crown for the fifth time -- fourth in a row -- in Moscow recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH