Bengal govt to felicitate Anand on July 12
Kolkata: West Bengal government will felicitate grandmaster Viswanathan Anand on July 12 for winning the World Chess Championship, defeating Israel`s Boris Gelfand in Moscow.
"We have arranged the programme to felicitate Indian Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand for his landmark success recently," state`s Sports Minister Madan Mitra said here on Monday.
"Anand has accepted the invitation and will be here with his family," he said.
Anand showed immense resilience to beat Gelfand in a tense rapid chess tie-breaker to win the World Chess Championship crown for the fifth time -- fourth in a row -- in Moscow recently.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler