Bengal govt to felicitate Anand on July 12
Kolkata: West Bengal government will felicitate grandmaster Viswanathan Anand on July 12 for winning the World Chess Championship, defeating Israel`s Boris Gelfand in Moscow.
"We have arranged the programme to felicitate Indian Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand for his landmark success recently," state`s Sports Minister Madan Mitra said here on Monday.
"Anand has accepted the invitation and will be here with his family," he said.
Anand showed immense resilience to beat Gelfand in a tense rapid chess tie-breaker to win the World Chess Championship crown for the fifth time -- fourth in a row -- in Moscow recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company
- Some 6,500 migrants rescued off Libya: Coastguard