Bengal to introduce `Khel Ratna` and `Khel Bibhusan` soon
Kolkata: West Bengal government will soon introduce `Khel Ratna` and `Khel Bibhusan` to honour eminent sports personalities in the state, Sports Minister Madan Mitra said here on Tuesday.
"The decision has been taken by West Bengal Sports Council, an apex body of sports in the state," Mitra said.
"The state has many star sports personalities who need to be honoured. Recognition to these sports personalities will also encourage the juniors," the minister added.
India`s 32nd Grandmaster Saptarshi Roy Chowdhury, accompanied by Dibyendu Barua, met the minister during the day.
The state government would felicitate Saptarshi at a function soon, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city