Bengal to introduce `Khel Ratna` and `Khel Bibhusan` soon
Kolkata: West Bengal government will soon introduce `Khel Ratna` and `Khel Bibhusan` to honour eminent sports personalities in the state, Sports Minister Madan Mitra said here on Tuesday.
"The decision has been taken by West Bengal Sports Council, an apex body of sports in the state," Mitra said.
"The state has many star sports personalities who need to be honoured. Recognition to these sports personalities will also encourage the juniors," the minister added.
India`s 32nd Grandmaster Saptarshi Roy Chowdhury, accompanied by Dibyendu Barua, met the minister during the day.
The state government would felicitate Saptarshi at a function soon, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured