Bengal to introduce `Khel Ratna` and `Khel Bibhusan` soon
Kolkata: West Bengal government will soon introduce `Khel Ratna` and `Khel Bibhusan` to honour eminent sports personalities in the state, Sports Minister Madan Mitra said here on Tuesday.
"The decision has been taken by West Bengal Sports Council, an apex body of sports in the state," Mitra said.
"The state has many star sports personalities who need to be honoured. Recognition to these sports personalities will also encourage the juniors," the minister added.
India`s 32nd Grandmaster Saptarshi Roy Chowdhury, accompanied by Dibyendu Barua, met the minister during the day.
The state government would felicitate Saptarshi at a function soon, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Woman dies under mysterious circumstances in west Delhi
- Roopanwal commission submits report on Rohith Vemula suicide
- Delhi Home Min to attend Mother Teresa's sainthood ceremony in Vatican
- Arun Jaitley not to attend SAARC meet in Pakistan: Report
- Centre okays NIA probe into cases of missing from Kerala