Bhanot to explain legal status of his cases to IOC
New Delhi: The controversial Lalit Bhanot has been unanimously elected secretary general of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) with the proviso that he would present his case before the International Olympic Committee (IOC), explaining the legal position of the corruption cases he is facing in connection with the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Bhanot said after the election that he has scrupulously followed the law of the land and the house has authorised him to present his case to the IOC chiefs.
Bhanot, who is out on bail, said that he would quit from the post of IOA secretary general if he is proven guilty.
"I have not been proven guilty. I will quit if I am proven guilty by the law of the land," he said.
The outgoing acting IOA president Vijay Kumar Malhotra said the general body has passed a resolution that the Bhanot would explain his legal position to the IOC.
In fact, both Bhanot and president-elect Abhay Singh Chautala have pending court cases.
Bhanot is charge-sheeted by the CBI under the Prevention of Corruption Act for allegedly wrongfully awarding contract to install the TSR system for the 2010 Games to Swiss Timing and Chautala has an illegal assets case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'