Bhanot to explain legal status of his cases to IOC
New Delhi: The controversial Lalit Bhanot has been unanimously elected secretary general of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) with the proviso that he would present his case before the International Olympic Committee (IOC), explaining the legal position of the corruption cases he is facing in connection with the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Bhanot said after the election that he has scrupulously followed the law of the land and the house has authorised him to present his case to the IOC chiefs.
Bhanot, who is out on bail, said that he would quit from the post of IOA secretary general if he is proven guilty.
"I have not been proven guilty. I will quit if I am proven guilty by the law of the land," he said.
The outgoing acting IOA president Vijay Kumar Malhotra said the general body has passed a resolution that the Bhanot would explain his legal position to the IOC.
In fact, both Bhanot and president-elect Abhay Singh Chautala have pending court cases.
Bhanot is charge-sheeted by the CBI under the Prevention of Corruption Act for allegedly wrongfully awarding contract to install the TSR system for the 2010 Games to Swiss Timing and Chautala has an illegal assets case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened