Bharat Ratna for Dhyan Chand? Tendulkar left out
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry on Wednesday recommended the name of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand for the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour.
The ministry has also recommended the name of mountaineer Tenzing Norgay, one of the first two individuals known to have reached the summit of Mount Everest.
Interestingly, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has not sent the name of Sachin Tendulkar, who is also seen as a sports icon of an age by many.
Rajiv Shukla however, tried to explain BCCI’s failure to send the recommendation saying that ‘the ministry itself decides the names and not BCCI’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon