Bharat Ratna for Dhyan Chand? Tendulkar left out
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry on Wednesday recommended the name of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand for the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour.
The ministry has also recommended the name of mountaineer Tenzing Norgay, one of the first two individuals known to have reached the summit of Mount Everest.
Interestingly, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has not sent the name of Sachin Tendulkar, who is also seen as a sports icon of an age by many.
Rajiv Shukla however, tried to explain BCCI’s failure to send the recommendation saying that ‘the ministry itself decides the names and not BCCI’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!