Bharat Ratna for Dhyan Chand? Tendulkar left out
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry on Wednesday recommended the name of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand for the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour.
The ministry has also recommended the name of mountaineer Tenzing Norgay, one of the first two individuals known to have reached the summit of Mount Everest.
Interestingly, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has not sent the name of Sachin Tendulkar, who is also seen as a sports icon of an age by many.
Rajiv Shukla however, tried to explain BCCI’s failure to send the recommendation saying that ‘the ministry itself decides the names and not BCCI’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery