Bharat Ratna for sportspersons?
New Delhi: The government is considering a proposal to make sport a category for awarding the Bharat Ratna.
Minister of State for Home M. Ramachandran told the Lok Sabha that Bharat Ratna was awarded for exceptional services in arts, literature and science, and in recognition of public services of the highest order.
"A suggestion regarding modification in the existing eligibility norms has been received and is under consideration of the government," he said in a written statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery