Bharat Ratna to cricketers, film stars a mockery: Press Council chief
New Delhi: Sparking a controversy, Press Council chairperson justice Markandey Katju said that giving Bharat Ratna to cricketers and film stars, who have "no social relevance", is making a ‘mockery’ of the award.
"People are talking of giving Bharat Ratna to cricketers and film stars. This is the low cultural level to which we have sunk. We ignore our real heroes, and hail superficial ones," he said against the backdrop of the demand for conferring the coveted award to batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar and hockey legend Dhyan Chand.
"Today our country is standing at a cross road. We need persons who can give direction to the country and take it forward. It is such people whso should be given Bharat Ratna, even if they are dead," Katju said in a statement.
"Giving it to people who have no social relevance like cricketers and film stars is making a mockery of the award," he said.
Katju said that he had been criticised for demanding Bharat Ratna for Mirza Ghalib and Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyaya.
"In reply I wish to say that there is nothing wrong in giving awards posthumously provided they are given to the right persons, and Bharat Ratna has been often conferred posthumously in the past e.g. to Sardar Patel and Dr. Ambedkar," he said.
Katju said that Mirza Ghalib was the foremost figure in Urdu while Sharat Chandra dared speak against casteism, superstitions and women`s oppression in a feudal society.
"I regret to say that the present generation of Indians has been almost entirely deculturized, and all they care for is money, film stars, cricket, and superficialities," Katju said and demanded that Tamil poet Subramania Bharti should also be awarded the Bharat Ratna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'