Bhat leads Indian challenge in qualifiers
New Delhi: Arvind Bhat, who turned back the clock to win the German Open Grand Prix Gold title early this month, leads the Indian challenge in the men`s singles qualifying round of the Yonex Sunrise India Open BWF Metlife Superseries beginning here on Tuesday.
The 34-year Bhat, ranked 65 in the world, will certainly be keen to continue his dream run and look forward to a perfect warm-up when he clashes with 24-year-old Malaysian Mohammad Arif, ranked 32 places lower, in the first round.
In the next round, Bhat who became only the second Indian player to win a GP Gold title outside India, is expected to meet 53rd ranked Israel`s Misha Zilberman, who is up against India`s K Ajay Kumar.
Former National champion, 33-year-old Chetan Anand, ranked 84, has a tough first round as he takes on 54th ranked Zulfadli Zulkiffli of Malyasia at the Siri Fort Sports Complex here.
In the lower half of the draw, 27-year-old Russian Valdimir Malkov, ranked 64th and Suppanyu Avihingsanon of Thailand, ranked 59th, both have easy draws and should comfortably qualify for the tournament proper.
The other Indian men in the fray are Subhankar Dey, Anup Sridhar, Aditya Prakash and NVS Vijetha.
The women`s qualifying draw does not consist of a very competitive field with 14 Indian players in contention.
Besides Sweden`s Matilda Peterson (rank 97) and China`s Liu Xin (rank 83), the top ranked women among with Indian players Sayali Ghokale (rank 160) and Dhanya Nair (rank 178) are the strong contenders to progress to the main draw.
The men`s and women`s doubles and the mixed doubles qualifying rounds will also be held on Tuesday. The main tournament starts from April 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in