Bhavina wins silver at Beijing
Beijing: Paddler Bhavina Hashmukhbhai Patel became the first Indian to win a silver medal at the 2013 ITTF PTT Asian Table Tennis regional championships here on Monday.
Bhavina, a surprise finalist, lost to top-seed Zhang Miao of China 6-11, 9-11, 2-11 in the final of the women`s singles Class 4 Second Stage, in Beijing.
Bhavina, earlier in the day, upset second-seeded Ji Nam Jun from Korea 3-1 (11-6, 9-11, 11-7, 11-9) and Taipei`s Ya Chu Lee 11-2, 11-8, 11-6 in the quarterfinals.
"I`m happy I could come this far in my maiden appearance. I would have loved to win the gold, but I cannot complain. I lost to the top-seeded and a better player," said the girl from Gujarat.
"It is my first trip to Beijing and am thoroughly enjoying the limelight," she added.
For the first time the TTFI was entrusted with the selection and sending of Para-Table Tennis team by the Sports Authority of India (SAI) in consultation with the sports ministry. The TTFI conducted the selections trials at Indore last month.
In Class 5 women`s singles, again another top seed prevailed when China`s Zhang Bian defeated Jordan`s Khetma Abuaward to win the crown 3-1 (11-7, 13-15,11-5, 11-6). Like Bhavina, the Jordanian too was a surprise finalist in Class 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!