Bhutia for improving football standard in North East
Guwahati: Ace footballer Baichung Bhutia has evinced keen interest in promoting the sport in the north eastern region by training the local talent.
"There are exciting talents in Manipur, Mizoram Meghalaya and Assam and they can reach international standard with proper planning and required infrastructure," the former India captain told reporters here last night.
Bhutia, who was here at the invitation of the Assam Football Association, supported the idea of setting up a football academy in the region.
"The academy will have to tie up with sport clubs so that talented players can display their potential at the national level. With proper guidance these footballers can become stars," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says