Bhutia for improving football standard in North East
Guwahati: Ace footballer Baichung Bhutia has evinced keen interest in promoting the sport in the north eastern region by training the local talent.
"There are exciting talents in Manipur, Mizoram Meghalaya and Assam and they can reach international standard with proper planning and required infrastructure," the former India captain told reporters here last night.
Bhutia, who was here at the invitation of the Assam Football Association, supported the idea of setting up a football academy in the region.
"The academy will have to tie up with sport clubs so that talented players can display their potential at the national level. With proper guidance these footballers can become stars," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics