Big prize money for Paralympics medal winners also: Maken
New Delhi: India`s Para athlete Girisha H Nagarajegowda will be honoured with Rs 30 lakh cash award for winning a silver medal at the ongoing London Paralympics Games, Sports Minister Ajay Maken said Tuesday.
Girisha gave India its first medal at the Paralympic Games after finishing second in the Men`s High Jump F42 event.
Maken said all the medal winners at the Paralympics will be given the same amount of reward money, which was disbursed to the achievers at the Olympics Games.
"Paralympic Medal Winners also to get cash awards of same amount as Olympics. Rs 50 lacs Gold,30 Silver&20 Bronze. Nagaraj gets 30 lacs!," Maken tweeted today.
India had won six medals at the Olympics with wrestler Suhil Kumar and pistol shooter Vijay Kumar winning the silver medals.
Four others -- Saina Nehwal, Yogeshwar Dutt, Gagan Narang and MC Mary Kom -- won bronze medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?