Big prize money for Paralympics medal winners also: Maken
New Delhi: India`s Para athlete Girisha H Nagarajegowda will be honoured with Rs 30 lakh cash award for winning a silver medal at the ongoing London Paralympics Games, Sports Minister Ajay Maken said Tuesday.
Girisha gave India its first medal at the Paralympic Games after finishing second in the Men`s High Jump F42 event.
Maken said all the medal winners at the Paralympics will be given the same amount of reward money, which was disbursed to the achievers at the Olympics Games.
"Paralympic Medal Winners also to get cash awards of same amount as Olympics. Rs 50 lacs Gold,30 Silver&20 Bronze. Nagaraj gets 30 lacs!," Maken tweeted today.
India had won six medals at the Olympics with wrestler Suhil Kumar and pistol shooter Vijay Kumar winning the silver medals.
Four others -- Saina Nehwal, Yogeshwar Dutt, Gagan Narang and MC Mary Kom -- won bronze medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video