Big Three carry Heat past Knicks
New York: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade combined for 57 points to help the Miami Heat overcome the New York Knicks 93-85 on Sunday and clinch the Southeast Division in a possible preview for the NBA playoffs.
James, who scored 29 points, and Wade, who poured in 28, teamed up down the stretch to turn a 79-75 fourth-quarter deficit into an 87-80 lead with a 12-1 Miami run that lifted the Heat to a 42-17 record.
Despite 42 points from Carmelo Anthony, the Knicks dropped to 31-29 and back to eighth place for the last playoff berth in the Eastern Conference with six regular season games to go. New York had been 13-4 under interim head coach Mike Woodson.
If the Knicks finish seventh in the East, they could play the second-seeded Heat in the first round of the playoffs, although they may prefer not.
Miami, also boosted by Chris Bosh`s 16 points and game-leading 14 rebounds, completed a three-game sweep of their season series with the Knicks and would have home-court advantage for the best of seven series.
With the odds slim of catching the Chicago Bulls (45-14) for top seeding in the East, the Heat are focusing on getting playoff-ready and James and Wade were particularly pleased with reversing a recent Miami trend.
"We needed to play better on the road," said James. "We know what it takes to win in the playoffs. It meant a lot (to win) today because of how we`ve been playing since the break on the road."
The Heat, who fell in the NBA Finals last season to the Dallas Mavericks, had wilted with eight losses in 12 games away from home since the All-Star break in late February.
"We were struggling to play a complete game on the road, and what better place to come in and focus than here," said Wade, who was returning to the court after missing a game with a sore ankle.
"We played under control, we played calm. We didn`t get rattled by a run they made, the crowd getting loud, shots they made, steals they made. We just kept our composure."
With the Garden pulsating to chants of "Beat the Heat," Wade and James took charge, finding the range on their jump shots while the Knicks fired blanks at the other end.
"Offensively we were so stagnant," lamented Knicks coach Woodson. "When the game is on the line we have to get some movement and we didn`t do that.
"Coming down the stretch, we just didn`t get it done."
Anthony, who in the absence of the injured Amar`e Stoudemire once again took on the scoring burden, shot 14-of-27 from the floor, had five assists and pulled down nine rebounds.
"I don`t even know what happened," Anthony said about the late-game surge by the Heat`s dynamic duo.
"It just happened so fast. They made some tough shots down the stretch the last six minutes of the game. We couldn`t make shots."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490