Biggest achievement of my career: Gowda
Pune: After grabbing his first gold in any major international event in the Asian Athletics Championships here today, ace Indian discus thrower Vikas Gowda described the win as the biggest achievement of his career.
"It has to be my biggest achievement. Winning silver in front of a huge crowd in the Commonwealth Games was one of my most memorable moments, but this gold is surely on top of everything," Gowda told a press conference after winning the men`s discus throw at the Shiv Chhatrapati Stadium at Balewadi.
"I have been trying for the last so many years. All the hard work of the last 10-15 years has paid off," added Gowda on the eve of his 30th birthday.
The United-States based national record holder hurled the iron disc to a creditable 64.90m in his fourth attempt to win the gold, though his effort was below his personal best of 66.28m and season`s best of 65.82m.
Gowda said he slipped at the circle in the second round and found a hole in his shoes.
"I was pushed to the wall as I was trailing the Iranian (Mohammad Samini) till the third round. I had just 58.64m in my first throw and then threw into the net in the second. I had to fight back to win the gold. So, I am satisfied with my performance.
"I promptly changed my shoes after second round and may be that helped in my fourth throw of 64.90m as I got the grip on my feet," he said.
Gowda said he has two Diamond Leagues lined up -- on July 6 in Paris and on July 26 in Birmingham before the World Championships in Moscow from July 10-18.
The 6 feet 9 inches tall dedicated the gold to his parents.
Poovamma, who won a silver in women`s 400m, said she was
satisfied with her medal at a major international event.
"I tried my best and I am satisfied with my performance. I was expecting a medal and I won it. Whether it`s gold or not, it does not matter. I was expecting competition from the Chinese and she ran a good race," she said.
"I had won all the three legs of the Asian Grand Prix (in May) but I don`t consider the GP series as major international events as competitions were not tough. I am not going to try to qualify for the World Championhsips next month," she added.
Ratiram Saini, who won a bronze in men`s 10,000m, said he need financial support for his training.
"I am ahppy to win the bronze but I could have done better. At one stage there was a good possbility of winning gold," he said.
"With time, I will get better and hope to compete at the highest level -- that is the Olympics. I need financial support for my training. I don`t have even a proper house," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'