Billiards: Alok, Shandilya enter semis
Leeds: National champion Alok Kumar and fellow-Indian Ashok Shandilya entered the points format semi-finals of the World professional billiards championship here on Tuesday with contrasting victories.
Alok Kumar overcame Nalin Patel (England) 1000-490, aided by three century breaks while Shandilya edged out compatriot Sourav Kothari 1000-989 in a nail-biting match.
In the semi-finals that will be played on a 1250-up basis, Alok Kumar takes on Singapore`s Peter Gilchrist who overcame Rupesh Shah 1000-853, while Shandilya goes up against Englishman David Causier who defeated Balachandra Bhaskar 1000-636.
Shandilya, a former World champion, rode his luck and experience to see off Kothari`s late challenge as the pair was tied at 989.
After a few blank visits, Shandilya posted breaks of 5, 5 and 2 to scramble to victory. Kothari, who had leveled after a break of 45, had his chances, but could not cash in on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’