Billiards: Alok, Shandilya enter semis
Leeds: National champion Alok Kumar and fellow-Indian Ashok Shandilya entered the points format semi-finals of the World professional billiards championship here on Tuesday with contrasting victories.
Alok Kumar overcame Nalin Patel (England) 1000-490, aided by three century breaks while Shandilya edged out compatriot Sourav Kothari 1000-989 in a nail-biting match.
In the semi-finals that will be played on a 1250-up basis, Alok Kumar takes on Singapore`s Peter Gilchrist who overcame Rupesh Shah 1000-853, while Shandilya goes up against Englishman David Causier who defeated Balachandra Bhaskar 1000-636.
Shandilya, a former World champion, rode his luck and experience to see off Kothari`s late challenge as the pair was tied at 989.
After a few blank visits, Shandilya posted breaks of 5, 5 and 2 to scramble to victory. Kothari, who had leveled after a break of 45, had his chances, but could not cash in on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know