Bindra, Heena to lead Indian challenge in World C`ship
New Delhi: Ronjan Sodhi yet again missed out on a berth in the Indian shooting squad, for the ISSF World Championships, and Gagan Narang also failed to make the air rifle team, to be spearheaded by Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra.
The tournament assumes significance as 64 quota places for the 2016 Rio Olympics will be up for grabs.
Sodhi had recently skipped the World Cup in Beijing and is also not a part of the squad for the upcoming Commonwealth Games. The former world no. 1 double trap shooter has been going through a lean patch for some time now.
The selection committee picked the team as per the policy of National Rifle Association of India. As per NRAI`s policy, shooters are selected on the basis of their last six scores.
World champion in air pistol, Heena Sidhu will lead the challenge in the women`s section, and there will also be Lajja Gauswami, Anisa Sayeed, Rahi Sarnobat and Shagun Chowdhary to name a few.
In the men`s 10m air rifle event, Bindra will be there alongside Sanjeev Rajput and Ravi Kumar. While London Olympics silver medallist Vijay Kumar, Harpreet Singh and Gurpreet Singh will represent the country in rapid fire pistol. Kumar is also there in centre fire pistol alongside Pemba Tamang and Gurpreet Singh.
Though not in the men`s 10m air rifle team, Narang will be competing in two other events -- rifle 3 position and rifle prone.
Another recent World Cup gold medallist, Manavjit Sandhu will spearhead the challenge in trap event with Kynan Chenai and R Prithviraj Tondaiman in the ranks.
In men`s double trap, Ankur Mittal, Mohd Asab and Sangram Dahiya will represent India.
Multiple-time Commonwealth Games medallist Samresh Jung will lead the challenge in standard pistol alongside Mahaveer Singh and Gurpreet Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof