Bindra meets Sports Minister ahead of joint meeting with IOC
New Delhi: Beijing Games gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra on Friday met Sports Minister Jitendra Singh here in connection with his participation in the joint meeting with the IOC on May 15 to find a way for India`s return to the Olympic movement.
On invitation by the government, Bindra will represent the athletes in the meeting among the representatives of the Indian Olympic Association, Sports Ministry and the International Olympic Committee in Lausanne.
Bindra, who had a 45-minute meeting with the Sports Minister, told reporters that he was proud that he would be representing the athletes in the meeting.
"I want the Indian flag flying in the Olympic Games, it`s a great feeling. I am proud that I am representing the athletes in the meeting," said Bindra, who won a gold in 10m Air Rifle event in 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Asked about what transpired between him and the Sports Minister, Bindra said, "We discussed about the joint meeting in general and the ways of how Indian sports can progress."
From the IOA`s side, its acting chief Vijay Kumar Malhotra will lead a four-member delegation which had other members in N Ramachandran, Tarlochan Singh and S Raghunathan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why