Bindra meets Sports Minister ahead of joint meeting with IOC
New Delhi: Beijing Games gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra on Friday met Sports Minister Jitendra Singh here in connection with his participation in the joint meeting with the IOC on May 15 to find a way for India`s return to the Olympic movement.
On invitation by the government, Bindra will represent the athletes in the meeting among the representatives of the Indian Olympic Association, Sports Ministry and the International Olympic Committee in Lausanne.
Bindra, who had a 45-minute meeting with the Sports Minister, told reporters that he was proud that he would be representing the athletes in the meeting.
"I want the Indian flag flying in the Olympic Games, it`s a great feeling. I am proud that I am representing the athletes in the meeting," said Bindra, who won a gold in 10m Air Rifle event in 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Asked about what transpired between him and the Sports Minister, Bindra said, "We discussed about the joint meeting in general and the ways of how Indian sports can progress."
From the IOA`s side, its acting chief Vijay Kumar Malhotra will lead a four-member delegation which had other members in N Ramachandran, Tarlochan Singh and S Raghunathan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- With Isak Swu gone, Naga peace accord won't be easy
- Britain wins Brexit breathing space at gloomy EU summit
- Turkish PM says first signs in Istanbul attack point to IS
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets