Bindra meets Sports Minister ahead of joint meeting with IOC
New Delhi: Beijing Games gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra on Friday met Sports Minister Jitendra Singh here in connection with his participation in the joint meeting with the IOC on May 15 to find a way for India`s return to the Olympic movement.
On invitation by the government, Bindra will represent the athletes in the meeting among the representatives of the Indian Olympic Association, Sports Ministry and the International Olympic Committee in Lausanne.
Bindra, who had a 45-minute meeting with the Sports Minister, told reporters that he was proud that he would be representing the athletes in the meeting.
"I want the Indian flag flying in the Olympic Games, it`s a great feeling. I am proud that I am representing the athletes in the meeting," said Bindra, who won a gold in 10m Air Rifle event in 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Asked about what transpired between him and the Sports Minister, Bindra said, "We discussed about the joint meeting in general and the ways of how Indian sports can progress."
From the IOA`s side, its acting chief Vijay Kumar Malhotra will lead a four-member delegation which had other members in N Ramachandran, Tarlochan Singh and S Raghunathan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Shankaracharya for 'plebiscite' on both sides of Kashmir
- Germany expects 300,000 asylum seekers this year: Official
- Kashmir unrest: Talks with whosoever is ready to reject violence, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Iran arrests nuclear negotiator suspected of spying
- LeJ terrorists involved in Lanka cricket team attack killed