Bindra to represent ISSF in international Olympic forum
New Delhi: In what can be termed a huge honour, Abhinav Bindra, India`s only individual Olympic gold medallist, has been chosen to be the international shooting body`s representative for IOC`s elite International Forum, to be held in Singapore from June 27 to 29.
Bindra will be among a select few to attend the International Olympic Committee forum, where the sport will be discussed at length.
"Abhinav Bindra, India`s lone Olympic gold medallist in air rifle shooting, has been selected by the parent International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) to be its nominee representative for the IOC`s elite 6th International Athletes` Forum in Singapore from 27th? 9th June, 2013," the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) said in a statement.
Naturally, the NRAI was thrilled with the selection of the 30-year-old Bindra, who shot to glory with a historic gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics five years ago.
"His selection is a very big honour for our country and National Rifle Association of India. It has been bestowed to Abhinav where he will discuss the issues concerning world shooting," the statement added.
In a bid to find a way for India`s return to the Olympic movement, Bindra had in May represented the athletes in the meeting among the representatives of the Indian Olympic Association, Sports Ministry and the International Olympic Committee in Lausanne.
The NRAI further stated, "Abhinav represented Indian athletes` case very forcefully at IOC for bringing the disbanded IOA back to IOC`s fold."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi