Bindra to represent ISSF in international Olympic forum
New Delhi: In what can be termed a huge honour, Abhinav Bindra, India`s only individual Olympic gold medallist, has been chosen to be the international shooting body`s representative for IOC`s elite International Forum, to be held in Singapore from June 27 to 29.
Bindra will be among a select few to attend the International Olympic Committee forum, where the sport will be discussed at length.
"Abhinav Bindra, India`s lone Olympic gold medallist in air rifle shooting, has been selected by the parent International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) to be its nominee representative for the IOC`s elite 6th International Athletes` Forum in Singapore from 27th? 9th June, 2013," the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) said in a statement.
Naturally, the NRAI was thrilled with the selection of the 30-year-old Bindra, who shot to glory with a historic gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics five years ago.
"His selection is a very big honour for our country and National Rifle Association of India. It has been bestowed to Abhinav where he will discuss the issues concerning world shooting," the statement added.
In a bid to find a way for India`s return to the Olympic movement, Bindra had in May represented the athletes in the meeting among the representatives of the Indian Olympic Association, Sports Ministry and the International Olympic Committee in Lausanne.
The NRAI further stated, "Abhinav represented Indian athletes` case very forcefully at IOC for bringing the disbanded IOA back to IOC`s fold."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31