Birendra Baishya elected IWF Executive Board member
New Delhi: Indian Weightlifting Federation President Birendra Prasad Baishya has been elected as the Executive Board Member of the International Weightlifting Federation in the recently concluded Congress of the world body in Moscow.
Baishya, a member of Parliament, received second highest votes among those elected as Executive Board Member of the International Weightlifting Federation. He got 56 votes.
"This is a rare feat and first time in the history of Indian weightlifting that a candidate from India has been elected in the Executive Body of International Weightlifting Federation," the IWLF said in a release.
Baishya, who has been IWLF chief since 2009, is also the vice-president of Commonwealth Weightlifting Federation and Executive Board Member of Asian Weightlifting Federation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?