Birendra Baishya elected IWF Executive Board member
New Delhi: Indian Weightlifting Federation President Birendra Prasad Baishya has been elected as the Executive Board Member of the International Weightlifting Federation in the recently concluded Congress of the world body in Moscow.
Baishya, a member of Parliament, received second highest votes among those elected as Executive Board Member of the International Weightlifting Federation. He got 56 votes.
"This is a rare feat and first time in the history of Indian weightlifting that a candidate from India has been elected in the Executive Body of International Weightlifting Federation," the IWLF said in a release.
Baishya, who has been IWLF chief since 2009, is also the vice-president of Commonwealth Weightlifting Federation and Executive Board Member of Asian Weightlifting Federation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers