Bolt, Blake in running for top IAAF award
London: Jamaican sprint kings Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake have both been shortlisted for the 2011 World Athlete of the Year award, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced on Monday.
Blake won the world championships 100m title in Daegu last month when his world record-holding compatriot was disqualified for a false start.
And the duo sprinted to landmark times at the Diamond League last month, Bolt running the fastest 100m this year and Blake the second fastest 200m in history.
Britain`s Mo Farah has also made the cut after the 28-year-old won world gold in the 5,000 metres in South Korea and claimed silver in a closely fought 10,000m.
Also included are Kenya`s marathon world record holder Patrick Makau, middle-distance runner David Rudisha, German discus thrower Robert Harting, Japanese hammer thrower Koji Murofushi and Grenadian sprinter Kirani James.
American triple-jumper Christian Taylor and compatriot Jesse Williams, who competes in the high jump, also made the shortlist.
The women`s list includes three Russians – world heptathlete champion Tatyana Chernova, high jumper Anna Chicherova and javelin thrower Maria Abakumova - American duo Lashinda Demus and Carmelita Jeter, New Zealand shot-putter Valerie Adams and Jamaican sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown.
Kenyan long distance runner Vivian Cheruiyot, Botswanan 400m runner Amantle Montsho, who won her country`s first ever gold medal at the world Championships, and Australian sprint hurdler Sally Pearson complete the shortlist.
The 10 male and 10 female candidates have been selected by an IAAF panel of eight experts with the winners to be announced on November 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview