Bolt continues to dominate global titles
Lausanne (Switzerland): Olympic and World champion Usain Bolt of Jamaica and American tennis star Serena Williams have been voted International Sports Press Association (AIPS) Best Athletes for the second year in a row.
A panel of 470 sports journalists from 96 countries voted in this year’s poll, reports CMC.
Bolt received an overwhelming 1,282 votes, followed by Formula One driver Sebastien Vettel on 499 and Spanish football giants Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo on 437.
Williams, who in 2013 aced her finest season statistically with a 78-4 record, and 11 titles, received 915 votes, ahead of Russian pole vault queen Yelena Isinbayev (644) and Jamaican athletics star Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (551).
European champions Bayern Munich, who dominated football in 2013, winning their first Club World Cup title, and finishing the Bundesliga season unbeaten, were the resounding winners of the Best Team award with 1707 votes, 1128 ahead of second place winner Miami Heat, two-time NBA Champions who racked up an incredible 27-game winning streak in 2013.
New Zealand`s All Blacks Rugby team with 14 wins from 14 matches in 2013 took third place.
This year`s Best Press Facilities Award had been split into two categories -- Best One Day Sporting Event and Best Press Facilities, Major Championship.
Winner of the One Day Sporting Event award was the UEFA Champions League Final in Wembley, England.
Winners of the second category were very close with the 2013 Moscow IAAF Track and Field Championships receiving 558 votes, the FIFA Confederations Cup (545) and FINA World Championships (486).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday