Bolt, Fraser-Pryce to lead Jamaican team for worlds
Kingston: Olympic champions Usain Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce headline a Jamaican world athletics championships squad that will come under intense scrutiny in Moscow following several positive doping tests by some of the country`s athletes.
Five athletes, including Olympic gold medallists Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson, tested positive for banned substances at the Caribbean island`s national championships in June and face disciplinary hearings.
All five have denied knowingly taking banned substances.
Neither Powell nor Simpson, both of whom tested positive for the stimulant oxilophrine, were included in the squad named by the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) on Monday for the August 10-18 championships in the Russian capital.
Nine-time world championship medallist Veronica Campbell-Brown, who held a wild card entry to Moscow by virtue of winning the 200 meters in Daegu, South Korea in 2011, also missed out.
Campbell-Brown is provisionally suspended after failing a test for using a banned diuretic at the Jamaica International Invitational World Challenge meet in May.
Powell had finished seventh in the 100m at the national championships but had been expected to be included in the 4x100 relay team having run 9.88 seconds at the Lausanne Diamond League meeting on July 4.
Jamaican officials did not indicate what event the athletes were likely to run in Moscow but Nesta Carter is expected to join Bolt, Nickel Ashmeade and Kemar Bailey-Cole in the 100m in the absence of injured world champion Yohan Blake.
The 22-member male squad also includes Olympic 200m bronze medallist Warren Weir.
Former Commonwealth Games champion Sherri-Ann Brooks, who was fourth at the Jamaican trials in June, is expected to take the place of Simpson in the women`s 100m.
Wild card holder and 2009 world champion Fraser-Pryce, Kerron Stewart and Schillonie Calvert will be the other entrants in the blue riband event.
London Olympics bronze medallist Hansle Parchment, who injured his ankle at the Jamaica trials, takes his place in the 110 hurdles along with Andrew Riley and Dwight Thomas.
Men: Nickel Ashmeade, Kemar Bailey-Cole, Usain Bolt, Nesta Carter, Warren Weir, Jason Livermore, Javere Bell, Javon Francis, Omar Johnson, Hansle Parchment, Andrew Riley, Dwight Thomas, Leford Green, Isa Phillips, Annsert Whyte, Damar Forbes, Raymond Brown, Odayne Richards, Oshaine Bailey, Akheem Gauntlett, Rusheen Mcdonald, Edino Steele
Women: Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Sheri-Ann Brooks, Schillonie Calvert, Kerron Stewart, Patricia Hall, Anneisha Mclaughlin, Stephanie McPherson, Novlene Williams-Mills, Natoya Goule, Andrea Bliss, Danielle Williams, Shermaine Williams, Danielle Dowie, Kaliese Spencer, Ristananna Tracey, Nickiesha Wilson, Francine Simpson, Kimberly Williams, Natasha Morrison, Carrie Russell, Christine Day, Anastasia Le-roy, Rosemarie Whyte
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla