Bolt, Fraser-Pryce win sportsman of year
Kingston: Usain Bolt, the world`s fastest man, and sprint queen Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, were named Jamaica`s Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year on Friday.
The 27-year-old Bolt, who won his second IAAF World Championships sprint double title in Moscow in 2013, ended the Championships by anchoring a Jamaican quartet to the gold in the men`s 4x100m relay.
Bolt, who won ten 100m races and was unbeaten in his five races over 200m, was overjoyed with taking his third straight and fifth overall Jamaica Sportsman of the Year title.
"This year was a wonderful year," said Bolt. "It was hard, lots of ups and downs, but overall it was a great season.
"The energy I got last year is continuing to grow and it helped me to grow in so many ways," said Bolt, who won ahead of training partner and World Championships 200m silver medalist Warren Weir.
Meanwhile, Fraser-Pryce, who had the best season of her career, won the sprint double in Moscow.
She won the 100m in a world-leading 10.71 and three days later topped the 200m field in 22.17.
Fraser-Pryce, who rounded off her fantastic season by securing the historic Diamond League sprint double, also said 2013 was a difficult year.
"It was a hard year, but a year that met all my expectations because I worked hard and I was fully committed to the task ahead," she said.
Both Bolt and Fraser-Pryce were last November named IAAF Male and Female Athletes of 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened