Bolt to face stiff challenge in 100m
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Kingston: With Asafa Powell deciding to switch from 200 metres to 100 metres race, triple Olympic champions and world record holder Usain Bolt might face an unexpected challenge from his fellow compatriot when the world champion runs his first 100 metres on Saturday.
According to Reuters, Asafa Powell, who held the world record before Bolt became athletics` biggest star, is considering switching from the 200 to the 100 at the Jamaica International Invitational because of a minor groin injury.
Meeting official Donald Quarrie said no decision had been made, but the sprinter`s agent said they are evaluating all options.
Powell originally had been scheduled to run the 200 against 100 metres world champion Yohan Blake, but the groin injury has the world`s third fastest man contemplating a move to the shorter, less stressful distance.
"If I don`t run the 200 and get in the 100, that would be fine with me because this is what I`m training for and I have to be ready at anytime," Powell told Reuters. "I feel good so we`ll see."
With the London Olympics less than 85 days away, Bolt is hoping to make the race a test of his preparations with or without Powell. His only race of the season has been a 4x100 metres relay.
"I continue to work towards the Olympics with one aim in sight: defending my titles," the world 100 and 200 metres world record holder said. "I am just working at keeping injury free and putting all the hard work together at the right time."
Saturday could be an early look at that work, especially if Powell joins a field that already includes 2008 Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson of Trinidad and Tobago, talented Jamaicans Nesta Carter and Michael Frater and Antigua Olympian Daniel Bailey.
The women`s 100 also is expected to be a fast one with American world champion Carmelita Jeter expected to face world bronze medallist Kelly-Ann Baptiste of Trinidad and Tobago and Olympic silver medallists Kerron Stewart and Sherone Simpson of Jamaica.
There are also strong line-ups in the women`s 400 where Olympic champion Christine Ohuruogu of Britain faces 2009 world champion Sanya Richards-Ross and the men`s 400 hurdles where American Bershawn Jackson will oppose Jamaican Danny McFarlane.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion