BOP Group bags IBL's Bangalore franchise
New Delhi: BOP Group, a leading real estate consultant in India, bagged the Bangalore franchise ‘Banga Beats’ of the $1 million Indian Badminton League (IBL) here Wednesday.
Speaking about the association, BOP Group managing director Amit Mavi said: “Badminton has brought huge laurels for India in the past. The IBL has the potential to recapture the interest of the masses through achievements of stars like Saina Nehwal, Jwala Gutta, Ashwini Ponnappa and others.”
Speaking on BOP Group’s successful bid to own the Bangalore franchise, Sporty Solutionz CEO Ashish Chadha said: “I’m delighted to cement IBL’s association with the BOP Group and congratulate them for bagging the Bangalore franchise."
IBL is an initiative of the Badminton Association of India (BAI) with Sporty Solutionz as the Commercial Partner.
Speaking on this occasion, BAI president Akhilesh Das Gupta said: “Bangalore is one of the hotbeds for nurturing badminton and it surely deserves a great franchise. BOP Group’s association with the IBL will go a long way in promoting the sport and inspiring millions of youngsters to take up the sport.”
Olympian and former national champion U. Vimal Kumar was named the chief coach of Banga Beats. As a player, Kumar won the French Open in 1983 and 1984 and the Welsh International Open in 1988 and 1991. He also went on to become India’s national chief coach. Kumar represented India at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and was ranked in the world top-20.
Former international Vijay Lancy has been appointed as the CEO of Banga Beats.
IBL kicks off Aug 14 and will run for 18 days. Six franchises will host a two-day leg and the league will showcase a grand total of 90 matches. The top four franchises will clash in the semifinals and the winners will meet in the final Aug 31 in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27