BOP Group bags IBL's Bangalore franchise
New Delhi: BOP Group, a leading real estate consultant in India, bagged the Bangalore franchise ‘Banga Beats’ of the $1 million Indian Badminton League (IBL) here Wednesday.
Speaking about the association, BOP Group managing director Amit Mavi said: “Badminton has brought huge laurels for India in the past. The IBL has the potential to recapture the interest of the masses through achievements of stars like Saina Nehwal, Jwala Gutta, Ashwini Ponnappa and others.”
Speaking on BOP Group’s successful bid to own the Bangalore franchise, Sporty Solutionz CEO Ashish Chadha said: “I’m delighted to cement IBL’s association with the BOP Group and congratulate them for bagging the Bangalore franchise."
IBL is an initiative of the Badminton Association of India (BAI) with Sporty Solutionz as the Commercial Partner.
Speaking on this occasion, BAI president Akhilesh Das Gupta said: “Bangalore is one of the hotbeds for nurturing badminton and it surely deserves a great franchise. BOP Group’s association with the IBL will go a long way in promoting the sport and inspiring millions of youngsters to take up the sport.”
Olympian and former national champion U. Vimal Kumar was named the chief coach of Banga Beats. As a player, Kumar won the French Open in 1983 and 1984 and the Welsh International Open in 1988 and 1991. He also went on to become India’s national chief coach. Kumar represented India at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and was ranked in the world top-20.
Former international Vijay Lancy has been appointed as the CEO of Banga Beats.
IBL kicks off Aug 14 and will run for 18 days. Six franchises will host a two-day leg and the league will showcase a grand total of 90 matches. The top four franchises will clash in the semifinals and the winners will meet in the final Aug 31 in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what