Boxer Manjeet settles for silver at China Open
New Delhi: Manjeet Singh had to content with a silver medal at the 3rd China Open boxing tournament after going down to local lad Akepeer Yusuf in the final of the super heavy weight category (+91kg), in Guiyang.
Making his international debut, the 21-year-old Indian boxer put up a sterling show in what was a fight to the finish yesterday.
Yusuf made an aggressive start making full use of his long reaching arms. But Singh, a two time Youth National Championship bronze medallist, displayed some good ring movement and in-fighting to land a few telling blows on his opponent in the second round.
However in the final round the Chinese boxer was more dominant with his precise attacks, which kept the Indian on the back foot. Manjeet lost on a split decision in the end.
The Indian men`s team returns from the event with one silver and three bronze medals ? Sunil Kumar (52kg), Ajay Kumar (56kg) and Jaideep (75kg) had to be content with a bronze medal performance after losing out in the round of four.
The tournament has been a good exposure for the young Indian team, especially for the likes of Manjeet, Ajay and Jaideep, who were all making their international debut in Guiyang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate