Boxer Manoj Kumar seeks appointment with Sports Minister after Arjuna snub
New Delhi: The furore over this year`s National Sports awards refuses to die with Commonwealth Games gold-medallist boxer Manoj Kumar seeking a meeting with Sports Minister Jitendra Singh, saying he was ignored for the Arjuna despite fine performances.
Women`s World Championship bronze-medallist Kavita Chahal was the only boxer to be picked for the Arjuna award this year by the selection committee headed by billiards legend Michael Ferreira.
Manoj, a World Championships quarterfinalist, is also a two-time Asian Championships bronze-medallist and feels his achievements have been "ignored".
"I have sought an appointment with the Minister because I want to express my pain. I want to tell him of my disappointment because I don`t understand the criteria," the 25-year-old, who recently won a silver medal at the FXTM International Boxing Cup held in Limassol, Cyprus, told to media.
"I am not being critical of anyone, I just want to speak for myself and I hope the Sports Minister would oblige," he added.
The boxer has already sent across a letter of request for meeting and is awaiting a response from the Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 10th X Results 2016 CBSE Board: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in 10th X class exam result 2016 CBSE Board to be announced soon
- Track your lost Android phone in these steps; remotely lock or erase data
- MASTI full on! Parineeti Chopra flaunts ample strength on the sets of 'Meri Pyaari Bindu' – Watch
- Royal couple Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor Khan spotted on the streets of London! – Watch video
- Worrying signs: Indian student studying in US spotted in ISIS video, says report