Boxer Manoj Kumar seeks appointment with Sports Minister after Arjuna snub
New Delhi: The furore over this year`s National Sports awards refuses to die with Commonwealth Games gold-medallist boxer Manoj Kumar seeking a meeting with Sports Minister Jitendra Singh, saying he was ignored for the Arjuna despite fine performances.
Women`s World Championship bronze-medallist Kavita Chahal was the only boxer to be picked for the Arjuna award this year by the selection committee headed by billiards legend Michael Ferreira.
Manoj, a World Championships quarterfinalist, is also a two-time Asian Championships bronze-medallist and feels his achievements have been "ignored".
"I have sought an appointment with the Minister because I want to express my pain. I want to tell him of my disappointment because I don`t understand the criteria," the 25-year-old, who recently won a silver medal at the FXTM International Boxing Cup held in Limassol, Cyprus, told to media.
"I am not being critical of anyone, I just want to speak for myself and I hope the Sports Minister would oblige," he added.
The boxer has already sent across a letter of request for meeting and is awaiting a response from the Minister.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India