Boxer Mundine wants ‘world’s most racist country’ Australia to change flag, anthem
Sydney: Australia has been branded as world’s most racist country by former rugby league player Anthony Mundine, and the current boxer wants the country to change its flag as well as anthem, so that even aborigines could relate with it.
Mundine, who had racially abused fellow boxer Daniel Geale on Thursday, fronted the media again to apologise for offending Tasmanian Aboriginals before launching a national call for change.
“I want to apologise if my comments have offended some Aboriginals in Tasmania. I know there are a lot of Aboriginals in Tasmania that are proud of their heritage, just like me,” the Herald Sun quoted Mundine, as saying
“My comments weren`t directed at anybody but the system that, in my opinion, does not reflect the sentiment of the first, second or third generation Aboriginals. There are people who get jobs and are claiming benefits who claim to be Aboriginal because they have a great, great, great, great grandmother or grandfather, and that`s it,” he added.
“The system needs to accommodate those Aboriginals that need it most instead of trying to cater for everyone,” he said.
Mundine added: “Everyone that comes here and a lot of my close friends and family members, we feel Australia is one of the most racist countries here.”
“I want to move forward, I want to unite the people, I want to move forward as one as all Australian. We`ve never had any representation on the flag,” he said.
“With the flag now, I can``t fly it. And I want to fly it for the Australian people,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt