Boxer Vijender`s controversy unfortunate: Abhinav Bindra
Gurgaon: India`s only individual Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra here on Sunday said it was unfortunate and sad that Olympic bronze medallist boxer Vijender Singh`s name emerged in a drug bust.
Abhinav Bindra, the World and Olympic champion in 10-metre Air Rifle shooting and co-owner of Pizza Vito in India, was here to attend a private function in a mall on Sohna road.
On the alleged affiliation of Vijender and his fellow boxer Ram Singh with Canada-based Indian Anup Singh Kahlon, Abhinav said that he didn`t have much to say and would not like to be part of a debate on this sensitive issue.
However, he said the whole episode was unfortunate.
"Vijender Singh is an Olympic medallist and recipient of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award - the highest sporting honour in the country. It is very sad and unfortunate that his name has emerged in such a way," Bindra told IANS.
Anup Singh Kahlon and his associate Kulwinder Singh, who were arrested in connection with the drug bust March 3, named the boxers and said they had supplied them with drugs.
Heroin from a flat in Zirakpur (Mohali), worth an estimated Rs.130 crore, was recovered by Punjab Police.
A car registered in the name of Vijender`s wife was found parked at the alleged dealer`s home.
Vijender Singh, who has denied using drugs, was interrogated by a team of Punjab Police officials in Panchkula March 11 for over three hours, and he refused to share blood or hair samples for forensic examination.
Vijender has admitted to knowing an NRI, named Anoop Singh Kahlon.
Vijender`s sparring partner and national-level boxer Ram Singh, who was arrested by Punjab Police, has said that he and Vijender had consumed drugs a few times from the dealer as an adventure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam