Boxers suffer as IBF upsets AIBA again
New Delhi: The suspended Indian Boxing Federation has infuriated the International Boxing Association (AIBA) yet again and it is the pugilists who are paying the price for their refusal to act according to the world body`s diktat.
The AIBA is livid with the IBF for giving out details of the Indian boxers` international schedule even before getting the world body`s clearance.
The result is the cancellation of a training-cum-competition tour of Cuba from May 27 to June 17 where 20 boxers were scheduled to go.
"India was expected to take part in Cardova Cardin, a training-cum-competition program at Havana, Cuba from May 27 June 17, 2013; however the team would not be travelling to Cuba as the tour has not been sanctioned by AIBA," the IBF said in a statement.
What the statement did not reveal was the reason for AIBA`s refusal given that the world body has so far not barred the boxers from competing in international events.
Even today, a 10-member team left for Cyprus for an international tournament. Yesterday, another 10-member squad went to Russia for an international tournament.
"They (IBF) have been giving details of the planned schedule even before AIBA gives its nod. AIBA is now angry with the IBF for doing this because a suspended body cannot make claims about future tours without getting the world body`s nod," a source told PTI.
"They have told IBF that this would cause problems for the boxers. AIBA will not let Indian boxers go for international events if this continues," he added.
The IBF has managed to anger AIBA quite a few times even after getting suspended in December last year citing "possible manipulation" in elections and the International Olympic Committee`s ban on the IOA.
AIBA has asked the IBF to hold a re-election and amend its constitution to make it compliant with the AIBA Statute but the Indian federation has not acted on either of the issues.
In an earlier instance, the IBF sent an official with a youth team to a tournament despite being clearly told by AIBA to refrain from this during the suspension period.
A furious AIBA had barred the boxers from international competition but later revoked the suspension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org