Boxers will not suffer due to IBF termination, says Sports Minister
New Delhi: The Indian Boxing Federation might be in trouble following its termination by the International Boxing Association (AIBA), but Sports Minister Jitendra Singh on Wednesday assured the boxers that their training would not suffer and would be provided with all the required facilities.
"All training facilities will be given to the athletes. We will make sure that the athletes don`t get affected as long IBF is excluded from AIBA," said Jitendra on the sidelines of the inauguration ceremony of National Cycling Academy at Indira Gandhi Sports Complex.
Earlier this week, AIBA, in a strongly-worded missive, terminated India stating that it was not in a position to make a "proper" judgement on how to handle the country`s case after receiving conflicting communications from various stakeholders.
The boxers and coaches will, however, continue to participate in international events under the AIBA flag till the time the crisis is resolved.
Meanwhile, clarifying Sports Ministry`s decision on granting Hockey India (HI) the status of a National Sports Federation, Jitendra said: "Overall, all the NSFs, which have been approved by their respective international federations, we would like to approve those."
The government had sought evidence from HI and Indian Hockey Federation (IHF), both of whom remain de-recognised since August 2010, to prove their compliance with requirements for recognition in 2011 ? a unified body for men and women, recognition from the international body (FIH), recognition from IOA, free and fair elections and acceptance of the government guidelines, along with an application form for recognition ? and only HI has fulfilled all the conditions now.
Speaking on the 2017 Under-17 FIFA World Cup, the Minister said, "All guarantees have been given by the ministry. Cabinet has given its nod. It is a matter of pride that we will host a FIFA (U-17) World Cup. Whatever upgrades are required will be done."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?