Boxing tournament on lines of IPL not shelved
Jamshedpur: Indian Premier League-style tournament in boxing is still under consideration and has not been shelved as yet, Chief Boxing Coach G S Sandhu said on Friday.
"Yes, it is under consideration of the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation and certainly has not been shelved as yet," Sandhu said in reply to a question here.
Stating that such a tournament would give a boost to boxing, Sandhu, a Dronacharya awardee, was optimistic that it would be organized by the federation.
Sandhu agreed when asked whether international exposure being given to boxers was enough to make them excel internationally.
"In fact, the federation approved our boxers to represent in all international tournaments we asked for," he claimed.
"We are getting adequate international exposure but now we need at least two international level championships to be held in India as well," he said referring to Kazakhstan hosting 11 world-class meets per year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users