Boxing tournament on lines of IPL not shelved
Jamshedpur: Indian Premier League-style tournament in boxing is still under consideration and has not been shelved as yet, Chief Boxing Coach G S Sandhu said on Friday.
"Yes, it is under consideration of the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation and certainly has not been shelved as yet," Sandhu said in reply to a question here.
Stating that such a tournament would give a boost to boxing, Sandhu, a Dronacharya awardee, was optimistic that it would be organized by the federation.
Sandhu agreed when asked whether international exposure being given to boxers was enough to make them excel internationally.
"In fact, the federation approved our boxers to represent in all international tournaments we asked for," he claimed.
"We are getting adequate international exposure but now we need at least two international level championships to be held in India as well," he said referring to Kazakhstan hosting 11 world-class meets per year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day