Brave India lose 1-2 to Olympic champions Germany
London: The India men`s hockey team put up a brave fight before going down 1-2 against reigning Olympic champions Germany to slump to their third consecutive defeat in the four-nation test event ahead of the upcoming London Olympics on Saturday.
Erstwhile champions India kept the mighty Germans on their toes throughout the 70 minutes at the River Bank Arena here, but conceded a late goal to return winless from the league stages.
Contrary to the result, it was India who took the lead in the 15th minute through a field goal from striker Shivendra Singh.
Jolted by the goal, the Germans pressed hard and got the equaliser 12 minutes later through Christopher Wesley (27th) to go into the breather locked at 1-1.
In no mood to give an inch to the other team, both India and Germany played cautiously after the changeover but failed to break the deadlock till the 65th minute.
It took a blinder of a goal from Florian Fuchs to pocket the win for his side and secure Germany`s place in tomorrow`s final.
India had earlier lost 0-3 to Australia and 2-4 to hosts Great Britain in their opening two games.
The Indians will now face either Great Britain or Australia in the third-fourth place play-off game tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajdeep Sardesai's exit from Twitter: REVEALED - Actual reason behind the journalist's walkout!
- REVEALED: Outdoing Virat Kohli makes AB de Villiers 'proud' - Here's why!
- Birthday special: Anushka Sharma is the selfie queen of Bollywood! Here's a proof
- UNBELIEVABLE! CEO of Baba Ramdev's Patanjali Ayurved works for 15 hours/day but takes no salary!
- Technology has opened up our cinema to everybody: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan