British Olympic medalist Simpson dies in America`s Cup capsize
San Francisco: Andrew Simpson, the British double Olympic sailing medalist, has died when a 72-foot catamaran of Swedish team Artemis capsized during America`s Cup training on San Francisco Bay.
36-year British Olympian was trapped underneath the boat for about 10 minutes after it flipped over.
Efforts to revive him failed and he had to die on the spot.
"Our prayers are with Andrew Simpson`s family, his wife and kids, and also the rest of my teammates," Paul Cayard, chief executive of Artemis Racing, was quoted by AFP as saying after the tragedy.
"It`s a shocking experience to go through, and we have a lot to deal with in the next few days in terms of assuring everybody`s well-being."
"Andrew was an immensely popular and respected member of the sailing community, and his two Olympic medals were testament to his talent," America`s Cup officials said in a statement posted on their website.
"Today is a sad day for all of us in the sailing community," the Oracle team said in a statement.
"Andrew Simpson was a great person, a terrific sailor, and a good friend to all of our team. Our thoughts are with his family and the entire Artemis team. He will be dearly missed."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter