BSAM hails Mehta`s golden run in World Games
Mumbai: Billiards and Snooker Association of Maharashtra today hailed Aditya Mehta`s brilliant run in the World Games in Colombia, where the Mumbai cueist clinched the gold medal after beating China`s Liang Wenbo 3-0.
"Aditya Mehta has now finally proven beyond doubt that he is by far the most accomplished, talented and sincere snooker player that we have seen since Yasin Merchant who played on the Pro circuit," said BSAM`s joint secretary Derek Sippy, who is also Mehta`s club-mate at Chembur Gymkhana.
Sippy pointed out that Mehta has shown that can match up to the best in the Pro circuit.
"Earlier, whenever a professional snooker player came down to India or played against an Indian on the Pro circuit, no one ever gave a ghost of a chance to any Indian who played the likes of legends Steven Hendry, Jimmy White or even the lesser ranked Pros then. But today, Aditya can play any player on the Pro circuit and win," he said.
"That is what this dedicated player has achieved due to sheer determination and very supportive parents Snehal and Sheela who have backed him all the way. They deserve equal credit for Aditya`s success," Sippy added.
Mehta had earlier defeated Thailand`s Dechawat Poomjaeng, conqueror of his Indian compatriot Pankaj Advani in the quarters, 3-1 in the semifinal.
Mehta`s gold was the first-ever for an India in the quadrennial games and the first since badminton great Prakash Padukone bagged a bronze in the inaugural World Games in 1981.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks