Buenos Aires to host 2018 Youth Olympics
Lausanne (Switzerland): The third Youth Olympics will be hosted by Buenos Aires in 2018, International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge announced Thursday following a vote by the IOC members at an Extraordinary IOC Session here.
Buenos Aires (Argentina) was elected ahead of Glasgow (Great Britain) and Medellín (Colombia).
Prior to the vote, the candidate cities each had 15 minutes to give a presentation to the session, followed by questions.
“We had three excellent candidates from which to choose a host city today, each with the capability of staging memorable Youth Olympic Games in 2018,” said IOC President Rogge.
“I would like to congratulate Buenos Aires and their bid team for their dedication to and enthusiasm for the youth project. I have no doubt they will build on the successes of Singapore 2010 and Nanjing 2014 to provide a platform on which the best young athletes from around the world can compete and learn about the Olympic values.”
The announcement was the culmination of a bidding process launched in September 2011, which originally included six cities - the three other cities were Guadalajara (Mexico), Poznan (Poland) and Rotterdam (Netherlands).
After a thorough review of the candidature files and other relevant documentation submitted by five of the cities (Poznan withdrew from the bidding process), the IOC Working Group, led by Claudia Bokel, presented a report to the IOC Executive Board (EB). Based on this report, the EB announced Buenos Aires, Glasgow and Medellín as shortlisted candidates at a meeting in Lausanne in February 2013.
The second Youth Olympics will be held in Nanjing, China Aug 16-28, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why